Ashley Isham at LFW

Hello all! I apologise profusely for my long absence. It has been the most hectic Summer! Having launched the new business (Floreola-check it out!), made hundreds of flower garlands, and started my freelance styling career at Selfridges in between, I have not had an ounce of energy left for anything else! I have missed my little style haven.

So, on Friday, I attended my first ever London Fashion Week show. I will not make excuses for the fact that I have not attended until now, but I can tell you that it won't be the last time.





The Run-Up

Having essentially sprinted to the venue from work,  I arrived in what I can only describe as a less than perfect state. After speaking to about 80 people regarding where I should queue (priority ticket, thank you very much), I finally chose to stand and be entertained by the other show-goers at the main entrance, while eating my apple, and munching on some well-deserved oat-cakes (so glam). I love people-watching, and fashion events provide so much entertainment with need-to-be-seens. I honestly spent most of my time wondering how people fit so much stuff onto their bodies. I think people tend to go a little crazy with the trends. Why channel one when you can balance a piece from each trend on every limb?

After watching a girl in PVC leggings, red stilettos, and a very natural looking orange glow, waltz around, talking exceedingly loudly to the victim on the other end of the phone, we were allowed to enter the venue. I may have missed out on a slightly better seat because there was free "Snog" frozen yoghurt on offer inside the entrance, but old habits die hard, and it was really yummy, so I dealt with it. We were ushered up the catwalk and to our seats, and I settled myself with my notebook, and frozen yoghurt, and waited for the birdsong, running water, and calming melodies of the music to give way to the creations of Ashley Isham...


Ashley Isham- "Delicate"

Ashley Isham arrived in London in 1996 from his native Singapore, and started his fashion education with a degree from Middlesex University. His first collection launched in November 2000 to critical acclaim, and he continues to show at London Fashion Week each season.

Known for his signature draping and glamorous styling, his latest collection, "Delicate", doesn't disappoint. Although delicate is most certainly not the word I would use to describe such a high-octane dose of glamour: complete with jewel coloured sequins, geometric patterns, tropical prints, and leather harnesses (worn over evening dresses). The femme fatale models, with their confident postures and haughty expressions  evoked a feeling of supreme confidence, and a beautiful boldness that complimented their attire perfectly. Evening dresses swept the floor, while the leather harnesses created a glamazon-like vibe. Hair was scraped up and adorned with the most spectacular headwear, including baseball caps with a twist, colourful perspex circles, and Art Deco inspired shapes.

Following the pink, blue, grey, and orange Grecian draping of the first display of evening wear, with their embellishments, leather belts, and long tassels, came the 1950s silhouettes. Bodies in pink, orange, blue, and green print sashayed down the catwalk, along with printed pencil skirts in blue and white, and a shirt dress or two. This was interspersed with Isham's take on sports luxe, with mesh playing it's part alongside the ongoing theme of sequins and embellishment.

Embellishment and striking jewel colours were to be the overriding features of the second half of the show too, with sequins and beading, often in geometric patterns, playing a part in each and every dress. Dresses were either completely covered in dazzling embellishment, half covered, or with some major detail that sparkled (such as a black sequinned jacket). One shoulder dresses were certainly something that I took away from the show, with my favourite piece being the one shouldered kimono sleeve mini, in cobalt blue and black sequins.

Grecian, geisha, 50s starlet, and sports babe: it was all in there somehow. One glorious explosion of colour and glamour: Ashley Isham is firmly on my radar. Not bad for my first LFW experience!

P.s. SO sorry about the photos. My phone was unprepared!









0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Tweet Tweet!

Have a peek at my Pinterest!