Prada-dise

Harrods is a place that I generally avoid. Oh, it's not because I don't like it, no-no, it is just that it is one of those establishments where I feel physical pain at the sight of so many unattainable objects in one place. I actually have to embark on a course of medication before I set foot in there, accompanied by a paramedic with a defibrillator (of course) .

On this occasion however, there was a certain corner of paradise that I wanted to visit. It's name? Pradasphere. The exhibition that allows anyone to immerse themselves in the world that is Prada: the fashion, the accessories, the architecture, cinema, influences, and history. I say anyone, I went on my own. A recent experience at the Glamour of Italian Fashion exhibition at the V&A showed that I was definitely not the person to take if you want to walk at a normal exhibition-pace. I am one of those: the annoying woman that stares a bit too long at an item, causing a build-up, and eventual by-pass of the area; the woman who appears to be crying at the emerald necklace on display; and yes, the woman who bangs her head against the display glass, causing a downwards crash to Earth, and desperate search for the friend that has already walked around the next two rooms...

So onto the Prada experience. I spent a good hour there (ok, probably more), and only left because I got a phone call. I'm always a bit funny about display cases, because I really don't like barriers between me and clothes, and I sometimes felt that I wanted to get more of a view of what the mannequins were wearing, but all in all, it really is a great place to go. I am always inspired when I see accessories, clothing, and design inspiration in one room, and each display case was brimming with iconic and eye-catching  designs, textures, and themes.

Prada has a strong set of inspirations and themes that are drawn upon in the collections: modernity, opulence, animals, print, and the blurring of genders. All work together and juxtapose to create truly unique collections. Essentially, you will always know a Prada. Everything is made with maximum impact in mind, whether that be through the brightness of the fur, the vibrancy of the pattern, the unusual structuring of the shoe or jacket, or the sheer number of beads per square inch. The garments can be truly breathtaking (cue inhaler puff).

I will stop there I think, and leave it to the photographs to tell you more about the exhibition. At first, the lack of descriptions accompanying the garments slightly threw me, but no amount of words can explain the impact that a piece can have on the wearer/ viewer. Enjoy!





















The exhibition runs throughout May.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Tweet Tweet!

Have a peek at my Pinterest!