The New Look

As my time in the peace and quiet draws to an end (sob), I thought I would show you all another of my sewing successes from this week. I have made myself a midi skirt, New Look style, in the most amazing fabric.

Now, I thought my time with the midi skirt had well and truly ended when I turned 15, but as with so many trends that people put to bed, it has come back with a vengeance this Spring/Summer 2014. Weirdly enough I got rid of a brown Miss Selfridge number from back in the day last Summer. Brown though...shudder... I don't think I will ever be a wearer of brown.

Although it might seem a scary trend, hence why it hasn't caught on as much as the other trends of this season, it can be extremely versatile. You just need to know how to style it. In fact, scratch that, you just need to know how you will feel confident in it. After all, Christian Dior first designed the New Look collection to give women back their taste for light heartedness, the art of seduction. After the restrictions of the war, he wanted women to embrace this new silhouette, emphasising the waist, and blooming at the hips.

So give it a go! I have styled it here with an edgy top and bare feet (nothing to do with the fact I have no decent shoes up here!), but I would equally wear it with a luxe crop and pointed sixties style flats, or with the white shirt of the moment. Add a little bag, and you are good to go.

I will be posting about how I made the skirt soon, so keep tuned!












Simplicity vest by Mango (bought on ASOS).

Crop top (worn underneath) The One Bra from AVON.

Skirt made by me with material from Watson & Thornton in Shrewsbury.
It is so well worth visiting if you are in the area. They have such an amazing range of materials and haberdashery items. The sale section is particularly exciting. I bought this material for £3 a metre!

Necklace and rings from H&M.

Bracelets from ASOS.

My nail varnish is L'Oreal Paris Color Riche in Nouvelle Vague.
I LOVE this colour. It is absolutely bang on for Summer!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Tweet Tweet!

Have a peek at my Pinterest!