Culotte going on

I am so excited about this post. Not only am I showing off one of my most recent vintage finds, but I also finally got round to buying a DSLR! From here on in, no more phone photos.

Now, I am slightly hesitant to talk about culottes. Mainly because I have steered clear of this confusing  garment for the vast majority of my life (skorts at primary school do not count), but also because you are probably already questioning my style sanity. Let me stop you right there. It is definitely time to embrace one of summer's most intriguing trends.

Historically, "culottes" were worn by upper-class European gentlemen, from the Renaissance to the early nineteenth century (oh yes, that long). They were not as they are now however. You know the historic paintings of men wearing those knee-length leggings with buttons? Yep, there you go, that's them. To be honest, it would not surprise me if men started wearing them again soon, skinny jeans are getting smaller and toighter. Fast forward to the Victorian era, where long split skirts, or "culottes", were developed for women so that they could ride a horse with a man's saddle, as opposed to the dreaded side-saddle. After a resurgence in the 60s, followed by an obvious defeat by flares in the 70s, and dabbling in the 80s and 90s: culottes are back,  and they have with them the full force of the fashion industry. Choose to embrace them, or be forever disgraced in your lack of fashion know-how.

Harsh, I know, but I must really impart the absolute jump-for-joy happiness that I felt when I found culottes. Ok, so I probably wouldn't wear a mid-calf length of floral material with sliders, and yes, they do have the age old (I'm assuming) problem of faking a camel-toe (I promise. It is way too high up to be the real thing). But these, these are the stuff of dreams. Luxurious and structured, they will be coming out to play of an evening event. That is if they win the battle with my new vintage MaxMara full-length skirt (blog soon).

p.s. It would be so great if you could find your way to following the blog if you read it regularly. Also, give me a follow on Twitter and Instagram, and check out my wishlist and other boards on Pinterest.




 









Culottes from Parisian Sweets
These culottes were from the best vintage treasure trove I have had the pleasure to visit. Parisian Sweets is an absolute paradise of good-quality vintage in Plymouth. The owner Jackariah is so lovely, and it was amazing to talk to somebody so knowledgeable about designer vintage (refreshing after the overpriced "vintage" stores in London). I came home with a selection of beautiful items, for an extremely reasonable price, and then had the pleasure of drunkenly thanking him repeatedly on the messiest night out I have had in a long time (do not visit students after they graduate if you value your reputation).

The Blouse is Charlotte Halton
Another lovely "vintage" (sorry Mum) blouse from Mother.

Clutch made by me 

The vintage pearl choker (worn as bracelet) was my Grandma's

The pearl ring was a custom made 21st birthday present

Ultra Colour lipstick in Lava Love from AVON




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Tweet Tweet!

Have a peek at my Pinterest!