90s Baby...

...Well, not really, just about an 80s baby. Ah to be forever sandwiched between two horrendous style decades, it is a wonder I made it out unscathed.

The 1990s: a decade of camis, slip dresses, dungarees, tartan, mini backpacks, chokers, Union Jack dresses, and Top of the Crops (yes, you read that correctly). I can honestly say that I thought that decade of style would vanish forever... until this year. I can take the tartan, as long as it's not a mini kilt (vom), but when the first cami slip dress appeared on the scene, I felt my poor shoulders and upper arms shudder of their own accord.

The cami? Long have I been plagued by those tiny straps, making all shapes and sizes of women look...well...much worse than they could look with a substantial bit of fabric holding up their garment. Making skinny girls look even more skeletal when the strap fails to touch anything but the collar bone; women with anything above the average width of shoulder look like wrestlers; and those with a touch of extra padding look like they have four shoulders, instead of the customary two: the cami is nobody's friend.

One thing that I do approve of is the crop top. It took me a while, but I am very appreciative of a good crop these days. As long as it is worn with something high-waisted, of course. I am even partial to a good dress/crop combo as displayed below. The thing is, I can understand all aspects of the 90s look (apart from camis and mini-kilts, see above. Oh..and chokers..), but not worn together. Why oh why would we want to look like those awful photos of ourselves when we were awkward...so awkward?

So here is me attempting to put my own spin on a couple of key 90s pieces: a high-neck crop and round glasses. Rant over... and a zig-a-zig-ahhh.










Leather Jacket from Massimo Dutti

 The Polo neck is Zara Children
I am making full use of the clothes that I have held on to at my parent's house!

The dress is from..wait for it...Etam!
I was given this dress by a friend when I was 14 and I could never bring myself to throw it away. It's a cami dress (GASP!), but notice I am wearing it under a long sleeved top. It is a wee bit clingy around the bottom, but the colour is perfect for this Summer.

My shoes are from New Look.
I highly recommend these. I look like a duck when I walk in Vans, but these are much more flexible, and I can wear them all day.

My glasses were from Primark last year.
You can find round glasses everywhere again now though, try ASOS, Topshop, or New Look.

My pearl ring was custom made, and the two plastic and glass rings were from Topshop and Accessorize about 11 years ago!

The necklace was made for my Grandma. I am just borrowing it.

The bag was from the Clotheshow about 11 years ago too.
I really should get rid of it, but I am quite attached.

My lipstick is  AVON colortrend in Violet Friday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Tweet Tweet!

Have a peek at my Pinterest!